Sunday, October 6, 2013

The Battle of the Minds

(Fig. 1 A picture of the Dallol craters located in northern Ethiopia.
The iron stains, algae, mud and salt produce the colorful
landscape seen above.)
As a geology major working on a fiction novel, C.P. Snow’s The Two Cultures and the Scientific Revolution resonates loudly in my mind. I am always frustrated when students in the science departments claim that they are not creative. They are always so willing to mold themselves into the stereotypes they grew up believing. They always find a way to limit themselves. Yet, at the same time, how can I blame them when the very educators that are supposed to help these students reach their true potential only help limit them.

(Fig. 2 Mae Jemison pictured above
in her astronaut suit.)
(Fig. 3 TED Talks logo.)
Mae Jemison, who is known as being the first African-American woman to go into space, talks about this very dilemma in her 2002 TED talk. She expresses her concern for the dangerous idea that students have to choose between analytical or creative when they should be both.
(Fig. 4 In this image you can see highest average earnings were 
obtained by graduates with science, engineering, 
computing, and mathematics degrees. 
The lowest earnings for graduate degree 
holders were those in the arts.)



Throughout high school it was frequently expressed to me by my math and science teachers that math, science, and engineering were the cornerstones of success and that I should pursue one of those disciplines while in college. However, instead of communicating to me that science degrees earned more money, I understood their words as, "The arts and humanities aren't important so you shouldn't study them."

UCLA was not very different. I feel that majors in the arts and humanities are sometimes viewed as “easier” and are more often than not met with the question of, “What are you going to do with that?” At the same time if it weren’t for the general education courses all students have to take, I don’t think many science majors would venture out into other fields. I guess it goes back to the old high school mentality. If you’re a scientist you can’t write or be creative, too bad I seem to be both.




Sources

Figure 1. Dallol Volcano and Hydrothermal Field. iStockphoto and Matejh Photography. Photograph. October 6, 2013. <http://geology.com/stories/13/dallol/>



Figure 4. Earnings increase as recent college graduates gain experience and graduate education. Chart. October 6, 2013. <http://financemymoney.com/college-majors-with-the-highest-earning-potential-2012-college-major-with-highest-paying-degrees/>

Jeminson, Mae. "Teach arts and sciences together." TED Talks. February 2002. <http://www.ted.com/talks/mae_jemison_on_teaching_arts_and_sciences_together.html>

Snow, C. P. The Two Cultures and the Scientific Revolution. New York: Cambridge University Press, 1961. Print.





2 comments:

  1. Comment for Week 1 Two Cultures Blog:

    Hello Gabriela! I enjoyed reading your thoughtful blog post about the Two Cultures concept. I truly felt that your ideas were communicated clearly and I understand your perspective completely. What really hit close to me and got me thinking was when you said, "I am always frustrated when students in the science departments claim that they are not creative. They are always so willing to mold themselves into the stereotypes they grew up believing. They always find a way to limit themselves." After reading these few sentences, a wave of guilt flooded over me because I realized that I am the very type of student you are talking about. Growing up I was always terrified about venturing into fields that were unfamiliar to me. Sadly, I am one of the students who grouped themselves into the stereotype that stated, "If you are good at science, you are most likely not creative". Limiting myself to just one side of the educational spectrum has limited me in uncountable ways. There has been many times where just a bit of knowledge in some of the other fields would have enhanced my learning experience. After doing research this week on the problems that arise with the separation of Two Cultures, I am slowly realizing the need for a well-rounded education. However, even though I regret not dabbling in the literary academics, sometimes I still limit myself because I believe it is too late to venture into other fields. Although I know that this is not the case, I find it extremely hard to leave my science comfort zone… Before I end I just have one quick question about your post. When you stated “too bad I seem to be both” at the end of your blog, were you trying say that it is “too bad” you are not part of the scientific stereotype?

    -Leigh Sanders (DESMA 9 DIS !D)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leigh, thank you for your comment. As for you question I meant the last sentence as a point of irony. Since the stereotype is that scientists aren't really creative I decided to say that it was just "too bad" I didn't fit the stereotype. I meant to say, I wasn't limiting myself to the stereotype. I hope that clarifies things. Let me know if it doesn't.

      Delete

If you're adding a comment for DESMA9 don't forget to login or add your name.