Friday, December 13, 2013

What Comes to Mind: Memory Traces|Engrams from The Anatomy Lesson (EXTRA CREDIT EVENT BLOG)

The flyer.

For my fourth and final event I visited the What Comes to Mind: Memory Traces|Engrams from The Anatomy Lesson exhibit at the Art and Science Gallery in the California NanoSystems Institute. The artist, Joyce Cutler-Shaw was a small interesting woman with incredible drawings. Walking into the gallery I saw the variety of her work. Shaw had brain scans, photographs, 3-D images, and hand-drawings spread all over the gallery. 
I think I look normal here.

Her work truly captured the themes of our course because of the mixture of science and technology her exhibit demonstrated. Her gallery had brain scan images that were fused with other art pieces that gave her work a "dream world" feeling. 

After personally speaking with Shaw I was able to find out that many of her 3-D images weren't being displayed because the facilities didn't offer the proper equipment. I was sad to learn this but I was still very impressed by the nature of Shaw's work. Her hand drawings were most intriguing. The drawings reminded me of the first weeks of the course when we learned about anatomy and the human body.
A bad quality image of the 3-D images.
Shaw mentioned that properly
set up they would show as
movies.

The awesome hand-drawings.
Here they are part of a printed book.
The actual drawings are much larger.












Overall, I was very impressed with the completeness and complexity of Shaw's work. Her collection gave an interesting perspective on the progression of life to death. If anyone has the chance to view her full collection, 3-D images and all I highly recommend it.



Resources

Cutler-Shaw, Joyce. What Comes to Mind: Memory Traces|Engram from The Anatomy Lesson. 2013. Flyer. n.p. Web. 7 Dec 2013.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you're adding a comment for DESMA9 don't forget to login or add your name.