Friday, December 13, 2013

Typhoon Relief Benefit Show (EVENT BLOG)

Me with a weird eyebrow.
By far my favorite event this quarter was the Typhoon Relief Benefit Show held in order to raise funds for typhoon Haiyan. The event was a mixture of cultural pieces performed by various groups on campus including the UCLA Hawaii Club, Tinig Choral, and various others.

At the beginning of the event there was a PowerPoint set up with various pictures taken after typhoon Haiyan hit the Philippines. I had a hard time dealing with many of the images that were shown because they invoked strong feelings within me.

This was one of the first similarities I found with the course. The benefit show sometimes made me uncomfortable because the topics that were brought up were very serious and heartbreaking. Just like different art pieces I have seen in the course the benefit show invoked an emotion within me that made me feel a bit distraught.


The next similarity I saw between the course and the benefit show was the mixture of art and technology. For some of the performances the correlations between art and science weren't very obvious but for other performances, especially the musicians, the correlations were more apparent.
Musicians that went to stage depended on the technology available to them. They needed microphones, and a proper sound system. Many of them also needed special electrical instruments.
Overall, the Typhoon Relief Benefit Show, was a fantastic event. It is unfortunate that the event had to take place after such a drastic typhoon but I hope my contribute made a difference.






Resources
The Pilipina/o Community of UCLA. Typhoon Relief Benefit Show. 2013. Flyer. n.p. Web. 2 Dec 2013.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you're adding a comment for DESMA9 don't forget to login or add your name.